Monday, August 30, 2010

Poetry Blog of the Week (30 August, 2010) - Soul's Music

By Mary Kling


Elizabeth Crawford has been blogging in her Soul's Music blog since January, 2009. Her blog is in black and white and basically uncluttered, which causes the reader to concentrate totally on her words. Within this simple format are beautiful poems. Not only poems, but her fascinating explanations of her poems. One unique thing about Elizabeth is that she always engages those who comment on her poems in conversation. This makes the commenters return again and see what Elizabeth answered. If you want to see what I mean, check out this poem "Held Loosely" and the discussion that takes place in Comments. No one who visits Elizabeth's blog is ever unanswered.

In an introduction to her blog, Elizabeth writes, "Poety is many things. It is whatever the individual wants it to be. There was a time when Poetry lived behind the stone walls of a locked cloister, as far as I was concerned. I couldn't get into that locked space or truly understand its attraction." Obviously this has changed for Elizabeth, as she has gotten seriously into poetry. I recommend you read this section of her blog About Soul's Music to find out how and why. Perhaps this will also cause you to reflect on how you happened to get into poetry.

Soul's Music very much describes much of the subject matter of her blog. One of my favorite discoveries is the poem called "The Call". In this poem the prophet becomes a poet. Trust me, it is a good read. If you enjoy meaningful poems that have a psychological, spiritual, or nostalgic overtone, you will enjoy Soul's Music as much as I do. Explore her blog. You will not be disappointed.

~ Mary Kling


(This post was written by Mary Kling. If you would like to read more of Mary's writing or poetry be sure to visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye".  Mary is a poet and writer who has been a wonderful supporter of Poets United since its start.  We would like to thank her for all of her hard work.)

12 comments:

  1. Thank you Mary, this is wonderful and what a great surprise for a Monday morning checkback on the Thursday Think Tank. Gotta tell you, I sat here for a few moments with my mouth hanging open, lol. And of course, I was whispering, "Damn, that's me!" Thank you again, and again, and again. You do a great, if really sneaky job, lol.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the privilege of being Elizabeth's pain in the butt friend for almost 40 years. She has and continues to amaze me by her talent. besides being a poet, she is a talented painter and a beautiful musician.

    Nice to know others appreciate her talent and unique outlook on life..
    Marj

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrat's and the piece highlighted Held Loosely is a beautiful, delicate write....nice to meet you here at Poets United....bkm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, so nice to meet you, will enjoy checking out your work. And Mary, great job on the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth it was fun getting reacquainted with your blog. I enjoyed exploring it and see that so do many others. You are a talented writer and artist and I am glad Mary chose to write about your blog. Congratulations, I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth I love visiting your! I enjoy how you do engage us in conversation. Congrats on a well deserved honor.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just visited Elizabeth's blog! What a
    heart-gathering poet. Her blog is unique
    and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, you lucky little puppy you!

    Marj, I never said you were a pain in the butt, but you still win the prize for making me laught so hard I wet my pants, more than once.

    bkm, nice to meet you as well and thanks.

    Sherry Blue Sky, glad to share this place with such wonderful poets. You are most welcomed to come and take a look.

    Robert Lloyd, thank you for creating this community and showing me such a warm welcome.

    Thank you Pamela, I know several others who deserve it as well.

    Cynthia, heart-gathering? Now I gotta be nice too? Lol, thank you for being a part of my group, I think this is going to be far more fun than I could have dreamed it to be.

    Elizabeth, grinning, of course. Thanks to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just visited Elizabeth's blog.Mary Cling ,Thank you very much for writing about her..Her blog is quiet soul touching.Whatever I try to write in praise to her, I feel is not upto the mark.I feel really happy that I have joined such a great community of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, you are most gracious here, just as you are in your blog. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rashmi, I'm not looking for praise, although I'll admit I won't turn my nose up at it, lol. I've said this pretty often, and for me it's a cornerstone, I think we write from a deep need to be heard. And you do that for me each time you leave a comment. Honest.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth, your blog always offers a wide variety of awesome works from poetry to prose! It is always an enjoyable experience when one visits your blog. =)

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete