Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Poem of the Week - (21 September 2010) - Actor of Other Lives

Selected by Mary Kling

This Poem can be found at:

 The Square Corner



I am a director
A weaver of film noir
In Black and white light turns onto shadow
Details in timeless grain, the title brilliant on lit marquee
Underneath a line snakes, the crowd weaves, money in paper palms
A creaky curtain rises, the trailer begins
Ah, The Feature
Night on Night, Light on Light, Shadows on Shadowy detail
I direct them all: Mitchum, John Garfield, Robert Ryan, his femme fatale
My life is this movie, this dream my life’s work
All the plot is me. This plot as an old poster: smoky gun, taupe
fedora, tear drop crown—brim turned down
Lights, camera, action
End credits, the curtain rises
The crowd follows, snakes home under a yellow light
I am the director, the weaver of film noir
Yes, the actor of other lives

~ The Square Corner



(This poem was selected by Mary Kling.  She is currently one of our contributors and poets found here at Poets United.  If you would like to learn more about Mary or read some of her own poetry you can  visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye" or keep an eye out for more of her posts.  We would like to thank her for all of her hard work.)

5 comments:

  1. This poem is BRILLIANT! Good pick, Mary! The concept is original, and the way you expressed it is perfect - the mood IS that of film, and your imagery brings up all sorts of mental images of fedora hats, shadows,flickering lights.........FABULOUS poem. I especially love "money in paper palms", "a creaky curtain rises," "this plot is an old poster" - an absolutely brilliant poem! It makes me want to write:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this write...and the last line..the grabber..."the actor of other lives"....great....bkm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Mary, for selecting my poem. It comes as a total surprise to me. I don't know what to say, except that I am humbled and grateful to be part of Poet's United where such generous spirits write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to SC. A well-deserved honour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Square Corner your poetry is so amazing...just love this one...wonderful pick Mary...look forward to many more...SC!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete