Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Poem of the Week (7 Sepetember 2010) - Wife

Selected by Mary Kling

This poem can be found at:


Lest I Smite Thee



It’s the same every night.
Sleep hides below ebony ponds
in the shadow-drenched corners
of our midnight bedroom,
always just out of reach.
I just can’t sleep knowing
what is to come.
Moonlight cascades through windows
like a glowing waterfall,
collecting in glistening pools
upon the shimmering silhouette
of your washed and ironed uniform,
adorned with honor and integrity,
bearing the name I took
when I pledged myself to you.

It’s the same every night.
I lie awake next to you,
listening to your deep breaths.
It took me too long to realize
it’s the most soothing sound
ever to grace my ears
and soon it will be gone,
leaving me in drapes of darkness
and cold silence.
But the melody of your heart
reassures me that you’re real
and not just a dream of an angel
that I’ll awake from alone,
like you were never here.

It’s the same every night,
even though I’ve known for months
that you have to go far away
where I cannot follow you,
where I cannot hear you breathe,
where I cannot hold you
gently upon my breast
until the dawn comes.

It will be the same every night
until you come home safely to me,
your wife.
I’ll wait for you
forever.


                                                  ~ Christine Lines, © 2010

(This poem was selected by Mary Kling.  She is currently one of our contributors and poets found here at Poets United.  If you would like to learn more about Mary or read some of her own poetry you can  visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye".  Mary is a poet and writer who has been a wonderful supporter of Poets United since its start.  We would like to thank her for all of her hard work.)

.

.

.

6 comments:

  1. Gally,
    awesome job!
    Glad to see your poem here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and heartfelt poem!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing and moving poem Gally. I look forward to reading more of your beautiful writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really love this poem, which I seem to have missed on my visits to your site. A really moving tribute to your husband. May he come home safe and sound! A beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!=D It is touching and moving!=3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful poem of unconditional love, loss, acceptance and hope.

    ReplyDelete