Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Poem of the Week (26 October 2010) Resentment

Selected by Mary Kling
This poem can be found at:



Anger in me will not be quenched
a scream pent up
an earthy cry
becomes a prayer for freedom.

Winds, skies, and trees call me
I am gripped by the fury
of ocean crashing into castles
built of sand
of destruction and untold truths.

I am pricked by sharp unending nights
monsters that bare razor teeth, evil eyes
rage creeps in, dense and black
my call for freedom goes unheard.

The very meaning of life extinguished
in bold thoughts and uncontrolled roars
pain and questions without answers
I am challenged by the call of the day
come walk, talk, love, and be
where do I put the anger while I live?

Resentment lies on the surface
a seething volcano thrusts mountains aside,
an eternally searing flame
chars the thought of freedom.

I am vitalized by writing and creation
I am energized by a palette and brush
challenged by an undetermined tomorrow,
through the anger and the fire
the Phoenix rises
brings hope of another day, another time
I am lifted by shaping what is to be.


(This poem was selected by Mary Kling.  She is currently one of our contributors and poets found here at Poets United.  Her hard work and help with Poets United can be found in nearly every corner of this site and for this we are grateful. If you would like to learn more about Mary or read some of her own poetry you can visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye" or keep an eye out for more of her posts. 

9 comments:

  1. how many of us have been in this place? Thought provoking and full of truths well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was surprised and delighted to see my poem on here. Thank you Poets United and Mary Kling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, this is a wonderful and depthful poem! I am so glad it is featured for poem of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, this is a powerful, thought-provoking and utterly AMAZING poem, written with such strength and imagery. Whew! Good pick, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a poem! one can feel the energy of the emotion... have been here so many times...
    "what do i do with the anger while I live..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's my kinda of work, well thought out expressive, beautifully crafted sentence after sentence, the words I heard made me aware I was not alone in my similar feelings. I've been there and it seems I had company. Absolutley deserving of acalades aplenty !
    Thank You for sharing it...Neal Shrum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anger......
    Beautifully you have captured the emotion in words.
    Love this beautiful creation of very much.
    Thank you Mary for choosing such a wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Judy; This is amazing! Thank you Mary for all you do and sharing so much~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, I am sure you were delighted, you should not have been surprised. Your poem Resentment was well done. Excellent choice Mary!

    ReplyDelete