Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Poem of the Week (5 October 2010) City a.m.

Selected by Mary Kling
This poem can be found at:

City a.m.


Most mornings
I
stand on my terrace
leaning over
the rusted iron rail.
\I stare
with an expert eye
and a crazy relish
at the hectic throng
of passersby.
\I see
a dull monotony
of greys and blues-
such a drab palette
of dreary hues.
\Thus dressed,
in 'official'
garb
so pervasive,
spare and sharp
\looking,
they advance
slowly,
scaling the streets
they cross and recross everyday.
\Vacant eyes
gape
from faces harried
by ten thousand
crippling worries
\as they push
and toil
against the tide
sweeping the oil
glittering streets.
\And at times when,
by chance a face
-or two-
lifts up to the patch
of empty sky,
\I catch a fleeting
glimpse
of a yearning
for open pastures
and simpler times.


(This poem was selected by Mary Kling.  She is currently one of our contributors and poets found here at Poets United.  If you would like to learn more about Mary or read some of her own poetry you can  visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye" or keep an eye out for more of her posts.  We would like to thank her for all of her hard work.)

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary, for choosing my poem. I really appreciate it.

    Love,
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection, Mary. What an evocative poem, Zaina. That thought, that wish for simpler times is something I wonder about often in this complicated world. You painted the dull, repetitiveness of the scene so beautifully with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem.

    It evokes a poem I read recently [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Too_Much_with_Us ].

    They read can be side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paint the scene so wonderfully, the harried crowd below, and I so love the vision of that one face looking up, in yearning. Quite wonderful! Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This a fabulous poem. An excellent selection. I promise to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely selection with this piece...thank you Mary and Zaina...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a masterpiece, Zaina. Absolutely exquisite. I love every word and line and image. Fabulous choice for poem of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zaina,
    A delighful poem to read. Beautiful words..

    A great choice as Poem Of The Week.
    Best wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do feel that way most of the time, City life is almost synonymous to stressed life.

    The images are so vivid, I can almost hear the clanging of the iron railings.

    ReplyDelete