Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Poem of the Week - Darkness Falls

Selected by Mary Kling
This poem can be found at:

Keeping Secrets

Darkness Falls

Darkness falls like Autumn leaves,
Upon the brown and barren hills
And in my heart, I come to grieve

As winds blow cold across the eaves
And branches scratch the windowsill.
While darkness falls like Autumn leaves,

Small creatures seek their burrows deep,
Heralds of the coming chill,
And in my heart, I come to grieve,

For winter moves in like the thieves
That steal the light and sap the will
While darkness falls like Autumn leaves.

The year grows short and I believe
It is with rue my days must fill,
And in my heart, I come to grieve

For all the failures to achieve
And all the hopes gone unfulfilled.
While darkness falls like Autumn leaves,
In my heart, I come to grieve.


~ Karen

Each week we select a poem from our members which we feel is a worth sharing.  If you enjoyed reading this poem be sure to stop by
(This poem was selected by Mary Kling.  She is currently one of our contributors and poets found here at Poets United.  Her hard work and help with Poets United can be found in nearly every corner of this site and for this we are grateful. If you would like to learn more about Mary or read some of her own poetry you can visit her blog "In the Corner of My Eye" or keep an eye out for more of her posts. 

10 comments:

  1. Good pick, Mary - this is a wonderful poem, rich with layers of meaning. Thanks for directing our attention to this site - looks like some good reading in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the repetition of darkness, autumn leaves, and grieve.
    Parasol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the repetition of phrases and words - autumn leaves, darkness, grieve.
    Parasol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem, wish I had written it myself. So beautiful, In my heart, I come to grieve. Thanks so much for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you to Mary Kling for selecting my poem and to each of you who has visited my site. Cliche though it may be, poetry is the very air we breathe. Thanks for sharing mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful selection from Karen's wonderful site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful poem and I love the way the poem rhymes. I also like the comparison between darkness and autumn. When darkness comes it doesn't give a warning. It just creeps in unnoticed and it creates a ruckus later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary great pic and Karen I love what you penned!
    Amazing with so much clarity; I love the line the line, "For winter moves in like the thieves". The thought of stealing, a crime to Mother Nature, great imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful selection Mary...beautiful and memorable poem....thank you Karen...bkm

    ReplyDelete