Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Poem of the Week - True Blue (5 July, 2011)

Poets United is all about Community.  We wish to celebrate and acknowledge individual poets who are part of our group.  This week's poem of the week  is True Blue which is written by  Liz Rice-Sosne a poet from the "heartland" of the USA, who writes poetry as Old Raven on  Crows Fete...Words to fly by.  She wrote this poem about Sherry Blue Sky's dog Pup who quite recently crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge."

True Blue  can be found within this blog:



there is a
wolf pup
who lives on
he is above
I know for
before this time
he was here
the dearest
friend
of a sister
sure

now he rides that
ring in the void
shape shifting
out in the
beyond
perhaps his work
is not yet
done

for now that he
has left this
world
at least in a
form
that we
can understand
it may be
that his major
work has just
begun

it is so hard
this I know
for he was
and is the love
of one so dear

one day that
pain will
diminish
no it will not
disappear
instead the loss
will cease
to be loss

pup will
return
in what today
is an unclear form
sitting next
to you one
warm july morn

I know that
he will come
and so do you
for wolf's greatest
trait is to be true
otherwise known as
loyalty to you

lay down the
mantle of your pain
the one that
wraps you
so tightly
like a chain

when that is done
pup's energy
will break through
and bestow the
love and comfort
he has for you

right now he is
discovering his
new world
no he is not gone
just getting used
to his new home
one of two
for his other home
is with you

We'd like to thank Eileen O'Neill, fellow Poets United member and blogger at Words and Thoughts,  for intially giving us a heads up in regard to Old Raven's work.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this week’s selection. Each week we select a poem from one of our members which we feel is a wonderful read. It is the poetry penned by our members and their willingness to share that is the core of our community. If you enjoyed reading this poem we can guarantee there will be many more like it so be sure to stop by next week and read the poem that has been selected for your reading pleasure.

For Poets United, by Mary Kling, author of the blog In the Corner of My Eye

4 comments:

  1. Poets United, Mary and Liz,

    What a delight to see Liz's poem featured as Poem of the Week.
    I discovered Liz's Blog a few months ago and was immediately fascinated by her fresh style and especially her writings about the wonderful connection between the Raven and the Wolf.

    Thank you Mary for your kind words and commitment to Poets United, in all that you do.

    Best wishes,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this honor. I am quite taken aback! I love this community. Although I have not been here long I have felt such encouragement and friendship. I did not write for nearly two years and now I am at it again. Eileen welcomed me here the first day and quite simply has encouraged me since. She introduced Sherry and me. We have become friends. It was not long after that I learned of Pup. Sherry's sorrow was palpable to me. I know that kind of loss. Pup means a great deal to me. Sherry's Pup is magnificent and her loss unbearable. Pup is also what I called my father. That loss too was great.

    Mary, thank you for this! Thank you too for all that you do to keep this community and to make it what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is precious! I love that all of you found a way to highlight this sweet piece. The love and respect it radiates are matched by the poetic prowess. Yay, Mary, Eileen, Liz, Sherry! and Yay for me, too... I get to read it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a lovely and sweet treat to come in here and find this and get to enjoy it and feel those feelings again.......it is kind of interesting, too, that Liz wrote about him sitting here beside me one warm July morn. For it is now July. I miss my boy - the friendship of all of you in the weeks after he died are really what got me through. I took it harder than I have taken anything in my life, which has had a lot of losses. But he was unique for sure and Liz, you captured that so well with your poem. Annell at Some Things I Think About wrote some beautiful words about Pup as well back in January. Thanks to all of you - for your kindness, your friendship, your wonderful writing, for the wonderful feeling of finally having a supportive writing community around me, that I had so been missing. Poets United changed my world so much for the better and I will be forever grateful. Mary, your diligence, reliability and work behind the scenes does so much to keep the site going. Thank you for that, and for being who you are.

    ReplyDelete