Saturday, August 27, 2011

Classic Poetry - "Friend..." by Jalal ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi



Jalal ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi
1207 – 1273

Friend, our closeness is this.
Anywhere you put your foot
feel me in the firmness under you.

How is it with this love,
I see your world and not you?

Rumi, one of my favorite poets, is a constant source of inspiration and encouragement to writers and spiritual seekers throughout the world. I am amongst his fans.

A dear friend gave me a book with the above poem inscribed in the front cover days before she died. It will forever be a favorite.

For more on the life of Rumi, visit this past post by our good friend, Sherry Blue Sky; or check out this Wikipedia entry.

If you are interested in reading more Rumi, consider The Essential Rumi, translated by Coleman Banks.

3 comments:

  1. A nice bit of peace in my evening. I love Rumi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love Rumi, a great poet. He is an inspiration to all.

    ReplyDelete