Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Poem of the Week - Forgiveness (6 September, 2011)

Today we are featuring as a Poem of the Week a poem by Luke Prater, a poet from rural England, which is called Forgiveness  and can be found in his blog WordSalad: Luke Prater's Poetry Weblog.  A talented and multi-faceted poet, Luke has been an active member of the poetry blogosphere for quite a while, and we are happy he has found his way to Poets United!


I  think that this poem, a serious one, is one that many will be able to identify with. (I know I can.)


Forgiveness

The last person I want to forgive is he I need
to most. Made sick stockpiling resentment,
indignation, recrimination; fueling an empire

of hatred sending it the way of the hater.
Greater, with guilt and regret, comprise the
pantheon of pernicious spirits stood at the foot

of the emotional spectrum. Conscious
forgiveness, without forgetting – learning
in our amnesty – is betting on the right

mare to dare clinch the derby. The last
person I want to forgive is he I need to most.

Thanks, Luke, for this poem and for being part of our community!

We hope that everyone has enjoyed this poem of Luke's and also that you will further explore his blog, as well as all of the other wonderful blogs on Poets United.  Community is important to us.  We hope that you will support one another in the best way that you can, through visits and comments!

For Poets United by Mary Kling, who writes poetry daily at In the Corner of My Eye.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Mary. It is so hard to forgive but necessary for spiritual and mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true and honest .. liked it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks guys and gals, I only saw this from the incoming traffic sources. Is it poss to format it into three tercets and a closing couplet, as on my blog? ie -

    The last person I want to forgive is he I need
    to most. Made sick stockpiling resentment,
    indignation, recrimination; fueling an empire

    of hatred sending it the way of the hater.
    Greater, with guilt and regret, comprise the
    pantheon of pernicious spirits stood at the foot

    of the emotional spectrum. Conscious
    forgiveness, without forgetting – learning
    in our amnesty – is betting on the right

    mare to dare clinch the derby. The last
    person I want to forgive is he I need to most.


    needs the room to breathe I think. Many thanks

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  4. A powerful poem that speaks the truth...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke,
    You speak the truth, whether in tercets or not! Very honest poem. Gives me something to think about. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice, Mary. Thanks for bringing these poets to our attention week after week. I so appreciate it.

    Luke, this is a powerful and wonderful poem - filled with truth. I really like your format, as well. This was wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Luke's work and I'm especially happy to see this piece featured here.

    It IS hard to forgive someone I should the most... praying for them helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great choice ... Luke is one of the best poet around ... there's a lot to learn from him about poetry writing skill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Luke! It's fixed. I copied it as it should have been; but the HTML didn't take. Now it is correct!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sizzling talent. This was a great choice. Wonderful work here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very true, Luke, and well-crafted as well. Good choice Mary! Thanks for introducing me to Luke's work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks all, much appreciate your words. And thanks Mary for the HTML fix. Stanza/line-breaking is hugely underrated and underestimated as a vehicle to empower our words...

    Thanks again

    Warmest Salad

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem on a topic of great importance. Not only do we need to forgive, but we can also strive not to judge in the first place! Hugs, pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yes, I can relate to this very well. Thanks, Luke, for sharing such an intimate "truth".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wise poem, oh my, I hear this. I do know, so when the pain sears me I catch myself, not yet forgiving, but not cursing or wishing ill, not getting angry, or indignant, still raw though, too soon to include her in my God Bless list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Luke and Mary! I wish more and more people would embrace the truth~

    ReplyDelete