Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Poem of the Week - Divergent Paths (25 October, 2011)

Today we feature a poem of Zouxzoux who blogs at a blog of the same name.  Zouxzox writes about herself, "Zouxzoux is the muse who lives inside me. She is the source of my imagination, the inspiration for my poetic life and the courage I don’t always have in real life. I am an amateur photographer and fledgling writer who is finally free to follow her bliss after years of the nine-to-five lifestyle."   Interesting, isn't it?  I wonder how many of us have names for our muses.



Divergent Paths

I was never the girl who knew what she
wanted and expected nothing less. The
one who walked with a confident air,
flipping her long silken hair over
her shoulder, flashing a smile the brightness
of  a dentist’s fantasy.
I was never the girl who could speak with
ease about Nietzsche or China’s economy
or debate the social relevance of some
obscure ‘80’s Punk band.  The one who only
wore white after Memorial Day, had the perfect
manicure and never a stray brow out of place.
I was the girl who loved the sparkle
of the stars in an inky night sky, beaconing
Morse code from the heart of the  universe,
but I could never remember their names or
the constellations they lived in.
I was the girl who loved The Blues, the
earnest, heart-aching want that reached out
of the radio grabbing me by the throat
where the beat of my pulse thumped like a
wild thing in harmony with those who wrote
such tormented words with the blood of their loss.
I was the girl who loved the written word that
took me to places I could only imagine ,
exotic cultures and lush landscapes
were the companions of my daydreamy world.
I was the girl who walked barefoot through the
woods with the red dust of Mississippi between
her toes and long silent days to contemplate How
Things Are and How Things Might Be.
I am the woman who changed How Things Were
and became who I wanted to be.

Zouxzoux, thank you for being part of our Poets United Community.  Each of you is important and integral.  Without poetry readers and writers (and the support that we give one another), this community would not exist!   Community, I hope you have enjoyed Zouxzoux' poem!

Posted for Poets United by Mary Kling who spends at much time at Poets United and In the Corner of My Eye as she can!

10 comments:

  1. What an inspiring poem, Zouxzoux sounds fascinating, thanks for introducing us to her. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for this...I think every poet can relate to a piece of this poem somewhere.I esp. like 'I was the girl who loved The Blues, the
    earnest, heart-aching want that reached out
    of the radio grabbing me by the throat
    where the beat of my pulse thumped like a
    wild thing in harmony with those who wrote
    such tormented words with the blood of their loss.
    I was the girl who loved the written word that
    took me to places I could only imagine ,
    exotic cultures and lush landscapes
    were the companions of my daydreamy world.'
    That was me too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice poem. You are so right on. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Char, is life's poetry, and it is expressed in her words. Go barefoot girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a FANTASTIC poem! Such terrific writing. Thanks for selecting it, Mary, and thank you so much ZouxZoux for writing it. I was right there with you, right from "I was a girl who loved the Blues"........enjoyed every line of this wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments and thank you, Mary, for choosing this poem for poem of the week. I am honored! Incidentally, this poem has been accepted for publication in "Long Story Short" ezine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zouxzoux/Charlotte, congratulations on having this poem selected for publication! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem has a beautiful flow, and a refreshing message. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, can absolutely relate to this terrific poem! I think, zouxzoux, yuu wrote it for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how I mentioned earlier that I liked only a small handful of the people? Every other character I disliked. For example, Tris. Tris was the simple girl from Abnegation, the selfless faction. We see a little bit of her getting teased at school because of this, and a lot of her being tested after she joins the Dauntless faction. Basically, she starts off as the underdog and then proves her worth, finds out she's special, and blah blah blah. She sometimes laments on how she isn't pretty or fully matured, and why Four would fall for her, blah blah blah. It gets especially annoying when you read in her point of view. I did like how she had a backbone at times and would stand up for others, but that's where my fondness ends.

    ReplyDelete