Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Poem of the Week - Mercy Killing (18 October, 2011)

This week's poem of the week is one by Robert Lloyd in his blog Inventing Lloyd.  In this blog, Robert is striving to write a poem a day for a year.  Good luck, Robert.



The featured poem from this blog is Mercy Killing.  Does the title entice you as it does me?  I hope so.  Here is the poem: 


Mercy Killing

It lay there
Begging for me
Each time the light came on
It would call to me
Hoping for something
Anyone
I must admit
I felt its loneliness
Its need
It still lingers in my mind
How long before the end
Could it really survive
So I helped it along
A calculated risk indeed
After a few days had past
I thought I was in the clear
Unknown
And safe
With no need to lie
Then
Out of no where
With an accusing tone
My wife simply asks
Who ate the last of the cheese?


Robert has a great sense of humor, doesn't he?  Thank you, Robert, for being the inspiration behind our community, and for sharing your poetry with us.
Written for Poets United by  Mary Kling who posts her own poems at In the Corner of My Eye and who is proud to be connected with Poets United.

6 comments:

  1. This is GREAT! I needed a cackle this morning! Great pick, Mary. So nice to see Robb's poem picked for poem of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    What a wonderful choice with Robert's poem. The title could be misleading, but on the contrary once read. An enjoyable fridge raid!!!

    Much deserved Robert :)
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny! Robert had me going until the very end. Love this type of unexpected ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I love this Robb!! Mary, good choice of Robert's poems. And Robb good luck on a poem a day for a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robb, all I could think of is chocolate..who took my share! lol...You are so fun! It was a great write to read~

    ReplyDelete