Suggested by Fireblossom (Shay)
I Cannot Live With You
I cannot live with you,
It would be life,
And life is over there
Behind the shelf
The sexton keeps the key to,
Our life, his porcelain,
Like a cup
Discarded of the housewife,
Quaint or broken;
A newer Sevres pleases,
Old ones crack.
I could not die with you,
For one must wait
To shut the other's gaze down,
You could not.
And I, could I stand by
And see you freeze,
Without my right of frost,
Nor could I rise with you,
Because your face
Would put out Jesus',
That new grace
Glow plain and foreign
On my homesick eye,
Except that you, than he
Shone closer by.
They'd judge us-how?
For you served Heaven, you know,
Or sought to;
I could not,
Because you saturated sight,
And I had no more eyes
For sordid excellence
And were you lost, I would be,
Though my name
On the heavenly fame.
And were you saved,
And I condemned to be
Where you were not,
That self were hell to me.
So we must keep apart,
You there, I here,
With just the door ajar
That oceans are,
And that pale sustenance,
Do you like this poem? What does it make you think about? Please share any thoughts you have concerning this selection in the comments section below. We look forward to you sharing your thoughts with us.
Poets United posts a classic poem once weekly. We want to do this to introduce classic poets and their poems to our members. It is also a way to display different styles, genres and approaches to poetry. Our intent is to further expand the world of poetry while educating ourselves.
If you have a classic poem or set of prose you are fond of please let us know by emailing it to us at email@example.com
Currently we are limited to poems that were published prior to 1923 due to copyright concerns. If you do want to recommend or suggest a poem published after 1923 please assist us in pursuing the copyright rules or allowances of the poem. The poems published here are done so strictly for educational purposes. For further information on copyright rules please read the Poets United Copyright Statement.
- ► 2019 (186)
- ► 2018 (202)
- ► 2017 (203)
- ► 2016 (197)
- ► 2015 (202)
- ► 2014 (204)
- ► 2013 (212)
- ► 2012 (254)
- ► 2011 (281)
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #15
- Classic Poetry (A Poison Tree - William Blake)
- Poet History #8 - Derek Walcott
- The Thursday Think Tank - #21 Fear
- Poetry Blog of the Week - (25 October 2010) Modern...
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #14
- Classic Poetry (She Walks In Beauty - Lord Byron )
- Poet History # 7 - Anne Sexton
- The Thursday Think Tank - #20 The Ugly That Is Bea...
- Look who has joined us!
- Poem of the Week (19 October 2010) Journey of Life
- Poetry Blog of the Week - (18 October 2010) Thats ...
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #13
- Classic Poetry (I Cannot Live With You ~ Emily Dic...
- Poet History # 6 - Rumi and Hafiz
- The Thursday Think Tank - #19 - Color
- Life of a Poet – Robert Lloyd
- Poem of the Week (12 October 2010) Anxiety
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #12
- Classic Poetry (In Youth I Have Known One ~ Edgar ...
- Poet History #5 - Jack Kerouac
- The Thursday Think Tank - #18 Complaining
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #11
- Poet History - #5 Sylvia Plath
- ▼ Oct (24)