Saturday, October 23, 2010
Classic Poetry (She Walks In Beauty - Lord Byron )
She Walks In Beauty
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
~ Lord Byron
George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
Do you like this poem? What does it make you think about? Please share any thoughts you have concerning this selection in the comments section below. We look forward to you sharing your thoughts with us.
Poets United posts a classic poem once weekly. We want to do this to introduce classic poets and their poems to our members. It is also a way to display different styles, genres and approaches to poetry. Our intent is to further expand the world of poetry while educating ourselves.
If you have a classic poem or set of prose you are fond of please let us know by emailing it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently we are limited to poems that were published prior to 1923 due to copyright concerns. If you do want to recommend or suggest a poem published after 1923 please assist us in pursuing the copyright rules or allowances of the poem. The poems published here are done so strictly for educational purposes. For further information on copyright rules please read the Poets United Copyright Statement.
- ► 2019 (186)
- ► 2018 (202)
- ► 2017 (203)
- ► 2016 (197)
- ► 2015 (202)
- ► 2014 (204)
- ► 2013 (212)
- ► 2012 (254)
- ► 2011 (281)
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #15
- Classic Poetry (A Poison Tree - William Blake)
- Poet History #8 - Derek Walcott
- The Thursday Think Tank - #21 Fear
- Poetry Blog of the Week - (25 October 2010) Modern...
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #14
- Classic Poetry (She Walks In Beauty - Lord Byron )
- Poet History # 7 - Anne Sexton
- The Thursday Think Tank - #20 The Ugly That Is Bea...
- Look who has joined us!
- Poem of the Week (19 October 2010) Journey of Life
- Poetry Blog of the Week - (18 October 2010) Thats ...
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #13
- Classic Poetry (I Cannot Live With You ~ Emily Dic...
- Poet History # 6 - Rumi and Hafiz
- The Thursday Think Tank - #19 - Color
- Life of a Poet – Robert Lloyd
- Poem of the Week (12 October 2010) Anxiety
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #12
- Classic Poetry (In Youth I Have Known One ~ Edgar ...
- Poet History #5 - Jack Kerouac
- The Thursday Think Tank - #18 Complaining
- The Poetry Pantry Is Now Open - Week #11
- Poet History - #5 Sylvia Plath
- ▼ Oct (24)